Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Lest You Think I'm Slacking....

I'm not. Not really. I'm trying to get things done. Especially now that the babies are home and purring. I've been doing a lot of this:

PICT1055    1

These designs are from Embroidery Library, and they're not playing nice. They're puckering. I'm using quality quilter's cotton, light-weight fusible interfacing, a cut-away stabilizer, and a tear-away stabilizer. All sprayed with quilt basting spray to minimize the fabric movement. I did contact EL, and they suggested I use canvas - a canvas quilt? I don't think so. But I'll get them done if it kills me. Am I the only one who hates quilt basting spray? I think I get more in me than on whatever I'm spraying. *cough cough*

So far I have this many done.

PICT1053    1

Plus the one I finished today, which took THREE BOBBINS.

I also got Snippets on the design wall -

PICT1056    1

and started sewing them together! Now if I can just get my points to line up. Points are the bane of my existence.

One more thing. Jenny of Elefantz did a post where she mentioned a book called Sew Pretty Christmas Homestyle. I fell absolutely in love and looked at my library website - they had Sew Pretty Homestyle, so I got that, and the Christmas one is now on hold. Where have these books been hiding? I want to make everything in them! Thanks Jenny, I didn't have nearly enough projects to keep me going. *SNORT*

21 comments:

Serena said...

I LOVE THOSE MOTIFS!!!! Yes I want to scream it to the world! Puckering or not they rock!!

I think it's great to have matching points, but always keep something going that you don't have to be super tedious with it keeps me from going bonkers when I can't get things to be just so........which is more often than I care to admit.

Dolores said...

I really like the native embroideries - great colours. I wonder what makes them pucker so much - especially as you seem to have interfaced the heck out of them.

jan said...

Wow, the embroidery designs are spectacular! Love the colors! Can't wait to see the finished project!

Allie said...

I am LOVING the embroidery! I'm sorry it's not playing nice, but it looks lovely. I can't wait to see what you make with them.

Terry said...

Sorry about your puckering. I personally LOVE spray basting! But that's just me.

Have fun with your snippets! The easiest way I've found to match corners is to press the seams the opposite way for each row, then the corners seem to fit together. Mine don't all come out right but more do than don't these days! :0)

I just went and requested those two books from the library! I need more projects too! NOT!!

Michelle said...

I love the one with the bird on it - all the colors are really bright...hate it that you are having puckering problems.

Rebekah said...

those are really cool embroidery patterns...no help on the machine issues here though. Good luck getting it sorted out!

joantufts said...

I love the embroidery! Absolutely beautiful...Looking forward to the finished project.

Lauranie said...

YOU slacking???!!! I think NOT!! :D I HATE puckering! I have to bring my "baby" in, I missed this week....UGH! I am having tension problems still! I LOVE that I "discovered" sewing books at the library...it makes me decide whether or not I actually want to buy a book!! I have renewed Amy Butler's Little Stitches about 4 times already....think I need to buy that one?? I'm putting it on my Christmas list!!! xo

Pam in Colorado said...

Wow, you have been busy. Hope the puckering problem is solved soon.

Barbara said...

Ok, I use to teach machine embroidery placement and what I did back then was use only 1 iron on stablizer and never had a problem with puckering, and no I didn't use a spray, like you those things make me cough for hours. The iron on stablizer came in different weights and it depended on what weight fabric I was using what weight stablizer I use, mostly I used medium weight for cottons and linens, and heavy weights for denims. Hope this helps you solve your problem, but I think one problem is you have too many layers of different stuff in the hoop.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Allie..the embroideries look absolutely fantastic, can't wait to see these all together.....

Liz said...

Despite the puckers - I love those designs! Very cool.

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Great embroideries, sorry you're having trouble with them. Reminds me of my thread breakage problem while free motion quilting! LOL
What's going to happen to the Snippets fabric? Just sew the squares together, quilt it and love it? That would be wonderful :^)

Carrie P. said...

Those are interesting embroidery patterns. I don't have a machine that does that. I always wonder what people do with them. I have the Sew Pretty Homestyle book. I got mine at Joanns with my coupon. Do you have a Joanns around?

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Seriously back in business! Love the embroidery blocks, and can't wait to see the Snippets!

Dandelion Quilts said...

WOW...that is a lot of work on the embroidery.

Mama Spark said...

I think you were at least as busy as I was. No slacking for you!!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Oh sweetie, just wait till I send you all the other fantastic titles you need...you will NEVER sleep again!! How do I know? zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz NOT!

Tanya said...

Wow, you did the embroideries on that? They are great! They look so intricate! I thought only factories could make things like that! Great work!

Candied Fabrics said...

I hate quilt basting spray - now I use fusible batting, and love it! Not much help for the embroidery though!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...