Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Why Hello There!

It has come to my attention [thanks Carol!] that I have been remiss in my blogging - where has this week gone! I did get out my camera a couple of days ago, to take pictures of what I've been preparing to sew, but the batteries were dead and I forgot. My machine isn't back yet, no word, I'll have to call them tomorrow.

I have some pictures to share with you. LOTS of pictures, so I won't put them all here! This coming Saturday is the Woodward Dream Cruise, an event that will attract around a million and a half people from all over the world. Woodward Ave is also known as Highway 1, the first numbered highway in the US.

PICT0855    1

All this week, the cruisers have been gathering. They drive up and down Woodward [where my mom cruised as a teen], and in shopping mall parking lots. The cars are unbelievable. I even saw one from Hawaii! They range from Model T's to 30's coupes, to street rods and muscle cars from the '70's.

PICT0800    1

Now you know I love retro and vintage - this is right up my alley. My very most favorite car in the world is a '56 Chevy Bel Air, closely followed by the Nomad.

PICT0750    1

I was born in 1959, so I remember a lot of these cars. I remember my dad had a Chevy with those big fins. I remember how roomy they were, and how, in those big old station wagons, we rode down the farm roads with the tailgate down hanging our feet out the back.

Can you tell me the last time you saw a Maverick???

PICT0889    1

Well, I saw one today! No Pintos or Gremlins, though.

The Studebaker was awesome.

PICT0876    1

PICT0873    1

PICT0859    1

PICT0822    1

PICT0774    2

If you can't get enough, like me, you can see the rest of my pictures at my flickr - or at our local tv station's website, they have an electronic garage where people are parking photos of their cars. It's just amazing. People work on these for a lifetime, and show them off during the cruise.

I'll be back to blogging tomorrow, and visiting your sorely missed blogs - I miss you muchly, my bloggy friends!

PICT0866    1

20 comments:

Mary said...

Isn't it great how seeing these brings back so many memories that are so vivid. We had a 1965 Oldsmobile F85 Deluxe station wagon (in which all three of us kids learned to drive in the late 70's and early 80's!). I can still remember my parents putting the back seat down and the three of us laying in the back on my grandmother's quilt on trips through New England and up and down the East coast.

Terry said...

Nice cars! We used to go to car shows when I was a young girl. My dad knew all about cars so he really enjoyed that.

Carol R. said...

Allie, these cars are fabulous! Lucky you, living in an area where you have the opportunity to see them all in one place! I can remember all of these from my childhood (My dad owned half of these models at one time or another.) Enjoy the cruise!

Patricia said...

Oh, what fun!!! Love those old cars...brings back lots and lots of good memories.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow these are so cool! I had a 1970 Chevy Malibu Super Sport. It was the first car I bought. It was full of rust problems, but I hear they are worth a lot of money now a days. Too bad it is probably in the land fill :-)

Carrie P. said...

I love the old Chevys. We saw an older couple driving a red and white one the other day and she was sitting right next to him as he was driving. It was sweet.
What were they thinking when they made the Maverick, Pinto and Gremlin? Those cars have no class in my opinion.

Liz said...

Oh how fun. My dad would be drooling over those cars. He still misses the one he had in high school!

Michelle said...

Great looking cars!

jan said...

Some years back, The Mister and I were in Dearborn for a Ford event the week before the Woodward Ave cruise. We took our own 'cruise' down the avenue with our club. It was such a fun place for driving old cars!

Darlene said...

OMG, I remember so many of those cars and in the mid 70's I had a Maverick. LOL

Lauranie said...

I remember my parents having an old mustang when I was under 5! My dad used to be a Baton Rouge City motorcycle cop, so the only 2 vehicles we had were a motorcycle and that mustang! xo

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Still no machine-my goodness! I hope it comes home soon-I miss getting to see your projects. Cool cars, very cool!

Eileen said...

Oh I love old cars too.. and these are some beauties!!

An ort is a little scrap that is usually thrown away... something that is discarded. :-)

Terri said...

Love those old cars! Way kewl!

Serena said...

Nice vintage cars ;) At the Nashville Country Music Museum they have Elvis's actual "pimp" mobile. It has gold etching on the interior. My mom's first car, shared with multiple brothers, was a Chevy Nova.

sewtakeahike said...

How fun! I love old cars and the colors they used back then! Great photos!

susan m hinckley said...

Awesome post, Allie! I love old cars and I didn't know about the "cruise" -- what a great summertime treat. Thanks for inviting us along!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Thecars of that era had such wonderful sleek lines didn't they!

LeKaQuilt said...

I love old car's! Thank you for all of the wounderful photo's :o)

Rebekah said...

I love the Bel-Airs too.

While I try to stay away from woodward (which is hard when I live a mile away from it) during the cruise, I have always wanted a white and turquoise or red and turquoise Bel-air

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...