Saturday, August 1, 2009

Road Trip, Girlfriend Style

Today was a lovely, lovely day. My friend Cathy and I hit the road to take my machine to the dr. and see what trouble we could get into. Due to all the construction on the highways, it took us twice as long to get to Port Huron as it should've...but that's ok. We took the scenic route.

Port Huron is home to Mary Maxim - a wonderful catalog store full of crafty goodness.

PICT0660   2

They have a nice clearance section. I'll show you another time what Cathy got me. After we dropped off my machine, we stopped in there and then went to the quilt shop.

PICT0661   2

I found some darling fabric, half off - I'll show you that another time as well.

After that, we went to the mall, and had lunch from the Japoni Grill - love love love the bourbon chicken and rice! Then, since I can't leave Port Huron without visiting the beach, that's where we headed. Boy was it crowded!

PICT0662   2

Tons of boats anchored just offshore so folks could swim. You see the boats out there? That's like waist deep water. It was nice and warm today, we didn't need our winter coats like last time.

And then I took Cathy on a drive around town. She's never been there. And she spotted the darlingest little diner that I had never noticed!

PICT0685   2

PICT0681   2

PICT0679   2

PICT0673   2

Look at the ceiling and all the Lucy stuff! I LOVE Lucy! And I seriously wanted to pack up this diner, put it in my purse and take it home.

PICT0668   2

This is what I had.

PICT0671   2

And look at this floor - is this not a quilt in the making?

PICT0675   2

I'll have to try and do some math to make one just like it!

All in all, it was a great day spent with my best friend. Thanks Cathy - anytime you're up for a road trip, let me know!

18 comments:

Patricia said...

Wow - Allie! What a wonderful day!

LOVE those diner photos.

(((Hugs)))

Carol R. said...

What a lovely way to spend a day! I love that diner! I don't blame you for wanting to put it in your pocket and take it home with you. You're right, that floor pattern would make a lovely quilt! Hmmmmmmm, may have to figure that one out for a future project.

Terri said...

Wow!! Sounds like a great day! I so love that diner too....and yum what a sweet treat you had!
Now about that machine....any news? Or did you have to leave it?
hugs.....

Mary said...

What a nice day for the two of you. I remember eons ago ordering a hooked rug kit from Mary Maxim - I used to love to get their catalog. Beautiful beach scenes and food scenes too - what a great little diner. It's great how you see something that just screams, "Make a quilt like me." Of all things a floor - its fascinating, isn't it?

Allie said...

What a great day! I'm so glad the weather cooperated for you!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Allie, I have seen so many floors that look like quilt patterns. Looks like a fun day!

Carol said...

Sounds like the PERFECT day!

jan said...

Sounds like a fun trip! Half price fabric is always fun and lunch with a friend at a fabulous diner is the cherry on the milkshake!

P.S. There is a diner near me that looks alot like that one - but it is a sushi restaurant! I am not so much for the sushi!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

When I eventually come to visit you MUST take me to that diner - it's gorgeous!!

sewtakeahike said...

HOW FUN!!! Thank-you for all the pics of the diner, I could hang out there all day just looking at all the details! What a perfect day!
oh, and why the boats? how do they make it ok to swim?

mamaspark said...

Me, me!! I'm up for a road trip!! I went to Sew Elegance for the first time during a shop hop last Christmas time. It is HUGE!! That's where I got the creepy owl fabric!! Let me know if you want to go again and I will meet you. What a fun time you guys had. Can't wait to see your purchases either.

Valerie said...

I am a I love Lucy fan too! Your day sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see the other pictures.

Pam in Colorado said...

Cool place. Love the floor. Glad you had a great day. Nice to find the bright spots in life. :)

Cathe said...

That looks like so much fun! I never new Mary Maxim had a retail store. *swoon* All of my life, those catalogs inspired fun crafty projects with my mom and sister. I even have a few on my shelf now, in my sewing room.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Looks like you had a fantastic day...

Karens Hopes said...

You look as if you had a lovely day, the beach looks fab I wish I was sitting there right now......
That diner was so cool.
Karen

Dandelion Quilts said...

Looks like you had fun. We love to visit Mary Maxim...they have great fabrics, for sure. My friend is over 50....and on the first Tues. of each month seniors get 20% off their purchases, so that is when we go. It is a deal.

What a cute diner.

Rebekah said...

I just heard about Mary Maxim from Jon's aunt a few weeks ago and now I've been hearing about it everywhere.

Where have I been? I will have to check it out sometime soon

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...