Thursday, July 30, 2009

My It's Quiet Around Here

You'd think someone had forgotten about you or something. But no. It's just been very, very slow in Allie-land. Between the rain-induced migraines and the camera batteries not holding a charge, and of course the machine putzing out on me, I've had nothing to blog about!

The other day, I met my friend Kathy-No-Blog for lunch. I needed to give her her quilt. It's been done for quite some time. It was a birthday gift and our birthdays are in March! She loved it, but the biggest surprise was what she made me:

PICT0607   2

A kimono!!! She did a fabulous job on it, too. There are crystals and beads, put on by hand!

PICT0610   2

PICT0612   2

PICT0613   2

And here's a picture of it on, with a truly scary pic of my face too, because Terri [who has a blog now, yay!] wanted to see how I cut my hair.

PICT0626   2

Please ignore the truly messy sewing room.

PICT0624   2

Isn't that just a gorgeous kimono? I love it Kathy, thank you so much! I'm so glad I'm friends with someone who can make garments. Personally, I'm genetically incapable of doing that.

I've been working on tracing these applique patterns.

PICT0619   2

And of course, my Shabby Roses.

PICT0606   2

I sure hope I get my machine fixed soon - I'm dropping it off this Saturday. I swear it contains half my brain, I can't seem to think without it.


This picture is for Susan, because she did a great post about Nancy Drew. But then, all her posts are great - she makes me laugh constantly! And totally inspires me with her lovely work. Look what I found, Susan!

PICT0615   2

And this next picture is for Patty who left a comment on my quilt for the Charming Girls Quilt Club. This is the pattern I used for my quilt:

PICT0616   2

I just added the sashing, because my rows weren't lining up properly. Patty, I tried to get to your blog but it said it couldn't be found, and I had no way to email you. I hope this helps.

That's all for now [oh stop, I hear you sighing with relief] - go check out my friend Terri's lovely new blog and leave her some encouragement, ok? She is just the sweetest gal you'd ever want to meet. She lives in South Carolina, and I live in Michigan - we met on a machine-embroidery yahoo group, and her and hubby got to stop by my house one time. I sure wish we lived closer! I'll leave you with a gratuitous nature shot by my younger son, Sam. Have a wonderful day!

PICT0592   2

21 comments:

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

The kimono is beautiful! So are your embroidered blocks :-)

Anne said...

You look great in that kimono - not at all scary :0). Those blocks are somewhere on my to do list, but I think that list is growing way too exponentially. happy stitching.

Dolores said...

You are some lucky lady. That kimono is beautiful! And I see you have kept up with the shabby roses. Good for you.

Allie said...

I think you are both so lucky, what beautiful birthday gifts!
I'm also lovin' the Shabby Roses. I hope you get your machine back soon. I understand how you can't function with out it, I'm the same way.
I'll try to wish some sunshine your way.

mamaspark said...

The Kimono is lovely and so are you!! What a wonderful surprise for you. I forgot you are a homeschooler, do you know Spunky homeschool? (Her blog name) She is very active in homeschooling in MI. She is my neighbor (but she doesn't like me very much, long story!

Pam McL said...

Love the Kimono. As soon as I saw the pic I thought it "looked like you". The added jewels look adorable.
Your new "do" looks good on you! I need to get mine chopped off again.
You're doing wonderful with the embroidery. You're determined to inspire me to pick up my needle again, aren't you? {wink}

Terry said...

Cool kimono! My birthday is in March too (March 8). When is yours? I'm off to visit Terri's blog now! :0)

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Wow...Allie what a post...love your modelling of the kimono...your blocks look fantastic.

Terri said...

Oh Allie!! You look BEAUTIFUL with your new "do"! I love it. And I really like the kimono. You are really going to enjoy wearing it. Now I have to hang my head in shame as I haven't gotten very far with my Shabby Roses....
hugs!!

Liz said...

Very cool. What a nice friend!

jan said...

Very pretty kimono and the added accents are delish! Love the haircut, too!

loulee said...

Your kimono looks great and so does your hair.
Love your stitching too, I've been collecting Shabby Roses, but I didn't start them yet.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

A gorgeous kimono for a gorgeous gal!!!

Linda said...

Such a gorgeous Kimono, and your shabby blocks are looking terrific.

susan m hinckley said...

Thanks, Allie -- Have you read the book? Because now I have to go see if I can find it! And thanks for the heads-up since I've been so busy with house stuff this week, I've pretty much missed all the usual blogland fun. Happy weekend!

Jennifer said...

loing that Kimono..

Rebekah said...

That's a gorgeous kimono! I love the fabric that she used and it looks great on you, too!

Tanya said...

Hey! Great kimono! What a good idea to decorate with beads! Your friend did afantastic job!

Candied Fabrics said...

That Kimono is stunning! Lucky gal!

Lauranie said...

I LOVE kimonos, and that one is FABULOUS!! Although, I am partial to long hair...you are still one beautiful lady! :)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Hi. I love your hand embroidery! I would like to get started and have some Dover transfers but am having a hard time finding blank fabric to use. What are you using for your shabby roses and your portholes??? I would soooo appreciate knowing. Thank you so much. Claudia cjbjdcpa@aol.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...