Sunday, July 19, 2009

I Need A Beach Party

Cuz I ALWAYS need a beach party. Fortunately, I just finished one. And here it is.



The wonderful fabrics from Jennifer at Sis Boom set the blocks off perfectly.








The fabric line is called Dance With Me. And I'd love to wallpaper my house in it. Inside and out. And clothe myself in it from head to toe. Thank you Jennifer for being such an angel - and so creative and talented too!
This is what was left.



You KNOW I'll find a use for these.
To make the wallhanging, I put 2" strips between and at the ends of the blocks, then sewed them together, then added a 2" strip at the top and bottom. I added 2.5" strips as a frame around all that. The binding was more 2.5" strips. I quilted very simply, in the ditch. I didn't want the quilting to detract from the fabric. Flannel for the batting, of course, and muslin on the back.
Designs are available (edit: no longer available] , if you need a beach party too.
Unfortunately, my machine decided to act up. During the last quilt, which was a jelly roll, it got packed with fluff from the jelly roll and started squeaking. I cleaned it out best I could, and it stopped squeaking, but now is skipping stitches. Both machines have to go to the shop, but finances being what they are, it'll have to wait. I'm on a machine sewing hiatus for now. That will give me lots of time to work on my Shabby Roses and some new designs - my sketch pad is out and pencils are sharpened, just waiting for inspiration. By the way, check out Jenny's Etsy shop - she has some new Shabby Rose designs! They are really lovely!



29 comments:

Terry said...

Your porthole stitcheries look wonderful all put together!! Good job! :0)

Carrie P. said...

Too cute. Love those fabrics around the blocks. Very tropical looking. I started one of the portholes today.

Mary said...

Now you can have a beach party in the middle of December if you want - the porthole stitcheries are just gorgeous and the fabrics you chose to do the framing/borders do them justice. Beautiful work!

Dolores said...

Allie, these turned out so beautifully. I love your sashing fabric. Congratulations.

Lauranie said...

Just awesome! It all goes so well together! How nice to be able to look at that all year long! I can see the three colors in the flower box!! Love it!

Shasta said...

It is beautiful - great setting!

Valerie said...

Love the fabrics! Makes me want to go to the beach- Hey I am going next week- Yay! You did a great job.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Remember those 1960's surf movies? I feel like I'm back there when I look at your hanging!! It's fabulous!!

Quilter Going Bananas said...

What a wonderful group of stitcheries
you've designed! They look wonderful
all put together :^)

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love it.....looks fantastic Allie....I have just started my number two....thanks so much they are awesome stitcheries..

Carol R. said...

What a summery looking wall hanging! I love it. Way to go on the finished project!

Rebekah said...

your stitched blocks look great with that sis boom fabric. It looks so fun and festive. Beautiful job!

atbquilting said...

It came out great! Congratulations on the finished project.

~D Spack~ said...

I love the little quilt! Superb!

Niki :-) said...

Love the portholes!
Love the fabrics too.
Thank you for always making such nice comments on my blog.

Tanya said...

You're right! The fabric is just perfect for your lovely stitchery!

Serena said...

These are just beautiful Allie!!! I love them all put together. Beach Party for sure!!

Bella said...

Love the portholes! Fabulous fabric pick.

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

Wow, I really love the portholes!! The fabrics are gorgeous, too! I understand why you'd like to douse your home in them!! lol!

Mary said...

Your portholes stitcheries look awesome! Thanks for sharing the patterns. I can always use a beach party.

mamaspark said...

Allie, did you design these? They are adorable! Your quilt looks great.

Jan said...

I really like your portholes---what a clever name! Love the fabric you used to put them together!

Cheryl said...

Love it Allie,and I can see why you are head over heels about that fabric. Your work is just beautiful.

Darlene said...

This is adorable, Allie! I love it.

susan m hinckley said...

Allie -- It turned out just fantastic! So happy and just perfect for a Minnesota wall in the winter (or Michigan, I suppose.) I love love love your taste in fabric!

Candied Fabrics said...

I LOVE how you've combined the bright patterned fabrics with your stitching, much more interesting than a traditional setting using plain or simple patterned fabric!

Sharon said...

Your "Portholes" are so cute! That fabric for the sashing/border just sets the stitcheries off beautifully.

Sorry to hear about your machine. I hate it when mine dies. And yikes, it's getting so expensive to get them repaired! Good luck!

Paula said...

Hi,
So happy to have found your blog! I love your porthole stitcheries - they are awesome! Your kitty totally cracks me up, and I love how you've saved your itty bitty little bit of favorite fabric to use in something else. That's perfect!

ivoryspring said...

Wow, Allie - this is stunning! I love love love the colors.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...