Thursday, July 16, 2009

Final Porthole!



This is the last porthole block. And my personal favorite. I added stripes to the umbrella, and a bunch of french knot flowers in the windows. Practice makes, well, not perfect, but better! So, get your needlebook and floss and come sit by me on the beach - I brought a seat for you! We'll stitch to the sound of waves on the beach and listen to the trade winds blow through the palms.

You can get it [edit: no longer available].






PLEASE ignore the embarrassing threads left everywhere.





I tried to get some close-ups of the flowers.





I think I need a better camera for that, lol. I like these little flowers so much, I'm tempted to go back to the other portholes and stitch some on those as well. Maybe a climbing flower bush? We'll see. I hope you enjoy stitching these with me!






And now, the naughty quilt that caused me so much grief. The quilting is done, the binding is on the front, and stitching on the back has commenced.






I used another vintage sheet for the back, it is incrediby soft. A very pale yellow. This quilt may have caused problems, but it's going to feel lovely.





I used a fashion stitch to quilt it. It's like a zig-zag with a little triangle at the top. Can't really see it in these pics, and on parts of the quilt - I was in a hurry and pushing it through the needle so fast, sometimes it missed the little triangle, lol!






I found some red fabric in my stash for the binding. I thought I had some red polka-dot, but couldn't find it - but that's ok, it was horrible stuff, frayed like mad. I like the plain red JUST fine.




I think it brings out the reds in the fabrics, and ties it all together. I'll post a final pic when I'm all done with the binding.





Yikes, more embarrassing threads, lol! Funny how you don't see that stuff while you're taking the picture. This quilt is my entry for the Charming Girls Quilt Club, click here or the link on my sidebar to join. Kelly has tagged all the members so that will be my next post.

I hope you all have a lovely day of stitching!






15 comments:

~D Spack~ said...

I love it, I love all three of them. I hope to get stitching on them real soon! Thank You ever so much, seriously.

Flittige hender said...

I like this stitching, very nice :0)

Anonymous said...

Oh Allie! I love it.....thank you....and you can send that quilt on to me in SC when you finish!!teehee
hugs, Terri

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

This palm tree has such a graceful sway to it. Very nice porthole!

Lauranie said...

Those little flowers are just so perfect for this final portal, and thanks for the close-up, I thought they were just one color...but TWO! Just beautiful, Allie. And that quilt!! Love it! You know, the naughty ones are the ones you love the most, because they come with the BEST story of all the TROUBLE they cause!! And you really appreciate when you are FINALLY DONE with it!! :) xo, L

loulee said...

It's looking great. You're right about that red, it does finish it off nicely. Looking forward to seeing the final pics.

Serena said...

I love your quilt! Love the red. I think the stitching idea is fantastic. Just beautiful.

Mary said...

Oh Allie - those window boxes with the little flowers are wonderful! Also, the red binding was perfect and I love the fashion stitiching. I'm going to have to try using a decorative stitch to quilt too because it's a shame to have them available on the machine, but never to use them.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

The little flowers are so cute in the windows!! I *love* the red binding on the quilt...and I especially love that zig zag - I have never seen that stitch before!! I wish you were closer so you could quilt mine. :-)

Carrie P. said...

Thanks for sharing another porthole. I have the first two traced and the threads picked out. Thanks for sharing your talent too.
Your quilt turned out great. And congrats for finishing your July quilt.

Rebekah said...

your embroidery is so inspiring! I've been getting a huge urge to start an embroidery project lately and you're just pushing me over the edge :)

Cheryl said...

It's wonderful...and the red binding is perfect!

jan said...

I love the portholes! I thought that I would be able to get started on them during our travels, but I came home with all my 'WIP', still 'IP'!

The quilt is beautiful and it will surely be loved after it is finished, even if it wasn't loved so much during the process of making it!

Judith said...

Allie thank you for the lovely stiching. I loved to make them.

hugs Judith

kendra said...

Very Pretty. I think the binding makes everything pop! Nice job.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...