I've been having a fun week. I've been working on a set of stitcheries I created that I want to share - got the first one finished, here's a sneak peek:
And I've decided to use a jelly roll for my Wonky Houses instead of the Snippets, mostly because I feel the Snippets deserve a bigger project and I'm marinating a few ideas.
But I can't do that today. Can't do my Shabby Roses either.
The sheet behind this block will be the sashing for the Shabby Roses quilt.
Nope, I have to do this.
This is for my friend Kathy No Blog. I adore the vintage sheet I found for the backing, it's like it was made to go with the fabrics in the quilt. I usually always use a vintage sheet for backing - about a dollar at the thrift store, and I don't have to piece them. I love pieced backs but I'm really too lazy. And I use thrifted flannel sheets for the batting. I love thin quilts, and flannel won't shift - you don't have to quilt it closely, but it looks great if you do. If I had unlimited funds, I would buy everything from the quilt shop, but I have to take it where I find it!
I always pin baste using a table. I have severe spinal arthritis and can't do it on the floor anymore. I was very glad to find this method. I center the quilt on the table, letting the overflow hang down. The weight of the layers holds everything in place. As I finish one section, I leave the pins open, and slide to the next section to pin. I don't close my pins until the last one is in. Closing the pins will cause things underneath to shift, and you end up with puckers.
I'll probably quilt it using straight lines. Hopefully I'll be putting the binding on tomorrow, and then I can play with my stitcheries some more!