Saturday, May 30, 2009

Sooo Busy

I've been having a fun week. I've been working on a set of stitcheries I created that I want to share - got the first one finished, here's a sneak peek:

PICT0308  2

And I've decided to use a jelly roll for my Wonky Houses instead of the Snippets, mostly because I feel the Snippets deserve a bigger project and I'm marinating a few ideas.

PICT0311  2
PICT0312  2
PICT0313  2
PICT0314  2

But I can't do that today. Can't do my Shabby Roses either.

PICT0309  2

The sheet behind this block will be the sashing for the Shabby Roses quilt.

Nope, I have to do this.

PICT0318  2

PICT0321  2

This is for my friend Kathy No Blog. I adore the vintage sheet I found for the backing, it's like it was made to go with the fabrics in the quilt. I usually always use a vintage sheet for backing - about a dollar at the thrift store, and I don't have to piece them. I love pieced backs but I'm really too lazy. And I use thrifted flannel sheets for the batting. I love thin quilts, and flannel won't shift - you don't have to quilt it closely, but it looks great if you do. If I had unlimited funds, I would buy everything from the quilt shop, but I have to take it where I find it!

I always pin baste using a table. I have severe spinal arthritis and can't do it on the floor anymore. I was very glad to find this method. I center the quilt on the table, letting the overflow hang down. The weight of the layers holds everything in place. As I finish one section, I leave the pins open, and slide to the next section to pin. I don't close my pins until the last one is in. Closing the pins will cause things underneath to shift, and you end up with puckers.

I'll probably quilt it using straight lines. Hopefully I'll be putting the binding on tomorrow, and then I can play with my stitcheries some more!

13 comments:

jan said...

I love the idea of flannel sheets instead of batting! So many thin vintage quilts have 'issues' with the batting, but a sheet would be a very sturdy lining!

Tanya said...

Great ideas there. I have never used vintage sheets but I'll check them out when I visit the thrift stores this summer. I've also never used flannel but that might be a good thing to try too. And your picture of the pins in fantastic!!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

You're stitchery is gorgeous!!! I love the quirkiness, and the colour choices for the threads are beautiful! Can't wait to see more! :-)

Mmmmm, vintage sheets for backings - sublime. I like that you use flannel sheets for the batting, what a great idea! Can I borrow it? ;-)

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I just love your stitchery! It's adorable. Love that photo of the quilt with the pins in it too!

Kelly@CharmingChatter said...

Oh, Allie! I love your new block -- you're so creative. Thanks for the basting tips, too! The Vintage sheet idea is wonderful -- what a great idea--and no piecing required! Can't wait to see that jelly roll with your Wonky Houses!

Serena said...

These are great!!!

Lauranie said...

What a wealth of knowledge you are! Thanks for sharing that little bit of information!! It is probably old hat for you, but for a beginner quilter like me...awesome!! See I knew there was a reason I had you under my "people I learn from" catergory!! Thanks Allie! Beautiful works, as usual! xo

SewAmy said...

love all you stitcherys.

atbquilting said...

Love your wonky houses. Now I've followed your link and have another project. sigh.

Jennifer Paganelli said...

might I have your address to send a little something while you are going through such a difficult time Allie?

Isabella said...

Hi I found you via my dear friend Jenny of elefantz what a great site you have I also will be trying a sheet for backing, thanks so much for the great tips

Terry said...

Love your beach scene stitchery! Can't wait to see the whole thing! Enjoy your day! :0)

Quilter Kathy said...

I just love that photo of the pins all standing up...just waiting....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...