Monday, May 25, 2009

The Birthday Boy

Well, I made the cake. And it turned out FINE, we're all still here, lol! I made it in a bundt pan and, while it wasn't all that pretty, it was fully cooked and came out of the pan with hardly any effort. I nuked the frosting and it went on very easy. No pictures - it wasn't worthy.

After dinner, we went outside and my boys played lawn darts - it was very sunny, and my mom's backyard has lots of trees, so that means lots of shadows and my camera gets confused. Or maybe the camera is fine and the operator is confused. Anyway, the pics I took of my boys turned out AWFUL. This pic is our family friend Pam on the left, my mom, and my brother standing.

PICT0298

My baby brother.

PICT0300

I was an only child for 11 years. Being an only child was VERY nice. I had everyone's undivided attention whenever I wanted it and at Christmas all the gifts were for me. Yes, I was spoiled rotten. And I loved it. Then my mom had my brother, and suddenly I was the built-in babysitter! But oh how I doted on him. Our dad died when he was 6 and I was 17 - some very rough times followed, but now we're close again and I love the man he's become. He reminds me a lot of our dad - he's a very gentle, caring and resourceful man.

And now for some other news. Kelly at Charming Chatter is having a quilt show, I told you...and there's an UPDATE! You can now enter two quilts! And boy check out the first place prize - any fat quarter bundle from the shop OR one of the jelly cakes she picked up from Spring Quilt Market! They're not available in stores yet, even! There are some truly gorgeous quilts entered, but not very many of them, so your odds are good to win! Here's the other quilt I'm going to enter....

PICT0172 2

Hurry, go enter! You have until May 31st!

6 comments:

Shari said...

Family birthdays are always fun! And it doesn't matter about the cake - it got eaten', didn't it? As long as there's a candle to blow out and icing to lick and kids to tickle your party is a success! Happy birthday to your not-so-little brother :)

Your quilt is charming and a qood addition to the quilt show!

jan said...

We had the same sort of 'split' family, but it was my brother who said that sister ruined his life when she came along after 10 years of him being the 'baby'. I came along two years later, so by then, he was resigned to his fate. Our dad died when I was two and my oldest sister was 18, so another parallel...

Love the quilt. I really like the combination of pieced and applique!

Lauranie said...

OOhhh! I love it! I want to grow up and be an awesome quilter just like you! The flowers are so pretty! I hope you win! Don't forget to check out my blog tomorrow, er today? It is the Sew, Mama, Sew! May Giveaway Day!! Like you need a reason to read even MORE blogs! :)XO

Serena said...

Happy Birthday to the bro! I'm hoping Sophia is thankful for her future brother or sister.

I love your quilt! You do some awesome work!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I'm so glad the cake turned out!

Love that quilt, beautiful and bright colours.

Liz said...

I love how the quilt looks with the ric rac!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...