Sunday, May 10, 2009

Beyond Frustrated

Today was a very bad no good terrible horrible quilting day. I did finish off two quilt tops, almost with my sanity intact...but it was a close one. First, I finished up this one:

PICT0252

My friend Kathy had picked out these fabrics for a charm quilt, and I cut everything 4 inches. Blocks, sashing, everything. I quilted everything on the same machine with the same 1/4" foot. So tell me - WHY didn't those border blocks line up? WHY were they a half inch off on either end? I used to be able to piece! Maybe it's time to hang up the rotary cutter! I fudged it best I could and hacked off the excess.

Then, since I was on a finishing roll, I decided to square up the quilt for Italy. Has to be 48x60. No problem, I knew it was way long enough. Until I went to square it up, and it was two inches short. So I hollered at the boys to make dinner and added another row.

They're both done now, and I just have to get backing and batting. Since the boys did dinner, I went ahead and cut all the binding for the quilts. I am so done with biggish quilts - I lost count of how many I've made since last October. Maybe not a lot for some of you, but a lot for me!

On a happier note, my son Sam is playing with photography. He went out in the yard yesterday and took some pics of the yard. All the pink you see is the petals coming off the tree. Petals everywhere!

PICT0231 222222

PICT0239

Happy Mother's Day to all of you!

10 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

Love your son's pictures.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Gorgeous photos from Sam!!

Allie, congratulations - you WON my giveaway!!! I'll be emailing you for postal details. Yay!! \o/

Lauranie said...

Congratulations ALLIE!! All of your hard work pays off! Don't you love it! Sam's pictures are very good. I love the colors! I think your quilt looks great! My block quilts NEVER line up, so I don't even try! I just tell my DH to "hush up!! it adds to the charm!" :) Take a break from quilting, and try something NEW!! It will refresh you for when you are ready to start a new quilt! One of those headbands would be good, they are quick and easy! Short hair can use a stylish headband, too! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah Lauranie is right.....focus on something else for a bit.....make me a headband ggg
I love Sam's picture BTW!
Terri

Serena said...

Wow I love that last photo he took. Just beautiful! Happy Mother's Day to you too....Sorry I'm a little late. Love the quilt!

AllyJo said...

Personally, I think it's beautiful. I love those colors and sweet fabrics. No one will notice it's a few inches off. I hate it when that happens. It's so frustrating.

Yes, my daughter is beautiful...as all Allie's and Ally's are. It's all in the name, I swear. My sister is Allyson too and she's gooooorrrrgeous.

Your flowers are pretty too. I miss flowers.

Liz said...

I certainly didn't notice it was off. I think it looks great. You know, I am often my worst critic!

Kelly @ Charming Chatter said...

I love this quilt -- the soft, subtle colors are dreamy! I hate it when that happens -- chalk it up to an Amish Touch! And, I love that your boys can (and will) cook!

Mary said...

What a wonderful quilt - the colors are so nice and cool. I'm always looking for ideas for cool-looking quilts, especially down here in FL. I can imagine it on an antique iron bed with crisp white sheets...it will certainly look lovely anywhere though.

barbara said...

I'm enjoying looking at all of your quilts! And the pink petals on the leaves - genius. Pink and green look so great together.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...