Saturday, April 18, 2009

Quiet Week

PICT0124 2

Don't you just love azaleas? My mother-in-law brought me this plant for Easter, and I haven't killed it yet. *G* I'm good at that. My favorite flower is the tulip, my mum brought me some for Easter, and I killed those almost immediately. Fortunately, they can be planted. So can the azalea. Growing up, we had an azalea bush right outside the front door - it was monstrous and oh so beautiful. Every morning, after my dad left for work, my mom would empty the coffee grounds on it. It THRIVED on coffee.

PICT0142
This is Sam's quilt. I've been trying to get a good picture all week and can't. If I don't use the tripod, I'm all shaky and all my pics are blurry. I need a good camera with image stabilization, cuz I have no stabilization at all.
PICT0145 2

Sam loves his quilt. He's very protective over it. It's very similar to Russell's, but Russell's had green strips, simulating seaweed. Sam wanted his all blue.

AND - drum roll - I finished a quilt I'd been hand-quilting for over a year, I believe. I found a fabric line called Follow Your Imagination by Prints Charming and fell in love with it. If you get a chance to get their fabric, DO IT. It is so soft and lovely - I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I bought a stack of half yard cuts, and ended up buying more of the stripe for the sides of the quilt. While I love it, I'm sorry now that I didn't get a bit more and put another section of stripe at the top. It looks off-balance to me.

PICT0132 2
PICT0133 2
PICT0139 2

And the back:

PICT0149 2

I couldn't bear to cut into the half yards, so I left them as is and put white sashing in between. I quilted bubbles in the half-yard sections, and semi-straight lines in the stripey side sections.

Glad to have that done.

I also stopped at a church rummage sale yesterday. I LOVE church rummage sales. Normally, I find way too much stuff, but yesterday I only came home with one thing; and it was a doozy. Although I seem to be the only one who thinks so, lol. I love flamingos, collect them and would live in Florida if I could. Well, I found this:
PICT0148 2
Click on it to see the bigger pic. I believe it's from the '50's. It hangs in my sewing room and it makes me happy.

That's all for today - now to go read all the blogs I've been missing!

PICT0124 4

7 comments:

Allie said...

Congrats on the big finish! The quilting looks great, and I love the back!

mamaspark said...

I love Sam's quilt but all those blues and greens are right up my alley. I also adore Prints Charming! Do you know that Sauder Village in OH has their fabrics? Apparently Marcus Brothers is marketing for them in the US (or that's what the bolt said, but I know the design is theirs) You are right about the hand of the fabric it is exquisite!! We, the CL's and I are planning a trip back there on May 1st. Let me know if you are interested in going with us. Could be fun...I'm just sayin'!

sophie said...

I love your azaleas and Sam's quilt, too. Thanks for visiting my blog today ;-)

susan m hinckley said...

I love seeing your quilts! I miss being a quilter, but there's only so much time in a day, isn't there? You're so lucky to have beautiful handmade quilts on your beds -- I really love art that gets used. It adds so much to everyday life I think.

And (although that mirror is AWESOME) you don't want to live in Florida, trust me. Great place to visit (or maybe spend the winter!) but really hard place to raise kids -- Disneyworld and the beach are a blast, but the schools and some of the cultural challenges are really . . . . challenging.

Lauranie said...

No wonder you haven't been posting! Girl you have been BUSY!! I really like the quilts! Like Susan said, only enough time in a day! Maybe when my little ones are bigger, I will take more of an interest in hand-quilting!

Pam in Colorado said...

The quilts are all beautiful! And the flamingo prize is a mirror. I kept looking at it trying to figure out how you hung it on the ceiling around the light fixture and still have it at that angle. DUH! How great.

liliashpole said...

I love what you did with the half yards of prints charming. The simplicity of the quilt's design made with such bold bright prints makes it really striking, and I think that it looks perfectly balanced.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...