Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Joining the Quilt Fun

Amy at Park City Girl is hosting a funfest of everyone's favorite quilts. I decided to join in too! I've blogged about this before, but it IS my favorite.

john's quilt

This is my favorite quilt of all time. So far, anyway. It was only my second quilt, it was my first time using fabric markers, and it was all done with my son's artwork.

PICT0300 2


He was 4 by the time we started this, using pictures he had made starting at the age of 2. He LOVED to draw. Entire walls in the house were covered with his pictures, and lots of times we couldn't find the fridge, it was so covered.

PICT0298 2

When I finished transferring all the pictures, I started the hand-quilting - and for a few years, didn't know if I'd EVER finish. It's quilted in lines around all the pictures, about 1/4" apart. His favorite color was [and still is!] orange, so we had to do orange binding. This quilt is big enough for a double bed, and he uses it to this day - he's almost 17!

PICT0297 2

It'll never win any awards, it's not beautiful except to a mum and her son - well ok, grandma too - but to us, it's priceless.

PICT0296 2

23 comments:

Carol said...

I think this is a brilliant idea. Love looking at all the little pictures :)

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

What a cool idea. My son still sleeps with the dinosaur quilt I made for him 12 years ago. And he is a teen also. Great memories.

Ruth Anne Olson said...

What a wonderful idea! Instead of saving all the pictures in a box somewhere, you have a quilt. I love this.

Zonnah said...

Very cute! Thats cool that he still uses it :)

Serena said...

OMGosh....This is just the cutest quilt and the best idea...WOW. I can tell this was a long time quilting.....just fascinating.

Cindy's Stitching said...

What a great quilt and a wonderful idea

Quilt Rat said...

Oh I would give it an award.......this is an absolutely Superb idea and so well executed.
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Allie said...

I think it's beautiful too! What a great idea. I'm sure it is well loved.

Mary-Kay C. said...

What a cool idea. The colours are so bright. I've seen this type of quilt done but the colours were very muted. I like how you did yours. What a wonderful quilt and amazing that your son still uses it. Does he hide it when friends come to visit?

scrappy quilter said...

What a great idea. The colors are fabulous.

Staci K. said...

I love this quilt! What a great way to keep all of the drawings done by your son. It's sweet that he still loves it at 17 too!

Lauranie said...

I love the blues in Sam's quilt, but this one is still my favorite! The artwork just blows me away. Does he still draw? Some of his drawings just seen advanced for 4 and 2?!!

Debra said...

A true treasure! So wonderful!

Blue Castle said...

Oh WOW! I did not know that you could do this and have it last so well! You have inspired me. This is what I have to do with my sons' artwork. I have endless supplies of it and this is just such a great idea. So priceless.

A Girl Called Dallan said...

What a treasure! Congratulations on creating something truly special.

nicolette said...

I would give this quilt an award. It’s one of a kind, a precious and colourful quilt. I hope your son still loves to make drawings!

Liz said...

What a great idea!

Amy @ Park City Girl said...

So fun! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

stitchinpenny said...

Very cute idea and very time consuming. I hope he appreciates this when he hits his 20s.

Alinta said...

Oh how i love this!!! Im sure one day it will be on the bed of his son, and how gorgeous that will be!!! Youve inspired me to do this, when my sons are old enough to draw!!

Marilyn said...

What a unique and beautiful idea! Your son is a very talented artist as well as YOU.

Sue said...

That is SO great, I wish I would have thought of that when my kids were small.

imquilternity said...

What an absolutely wonderful idea! It's so colorful and just looks "child-like". He'll have fabulous memories. You must be a great mom!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...