Wednesday, April 1, 2009

FIFTY???? Say It Ain't So!

PICT0037 2

Today [Tuesday, although it's so late it's Wednesday now] was my birthday. The big five oh. The big UH-oh. One thing you don't understand when you're young, is that when you get older, you're still going to think of yourself as young. Oh, you'll FEEL your age - every creak and groan - but mostly, you forget you're older. At least, I do. Looking in the mirror is still a surprise. In my head I hear aged relatives saying "my, how she's grown!" Sigh.

But what nobody can tell you, and you wouldn't believe them if they did, is how comfortable it is. How nice it is to not worry about a pimple, or a hair out of place, or are you wearing the right clothes. It's NICE to put on bifocals and be able to see well, and not care that someone will see you with a line in your glasses. It's a freedom you don't get with youth. To be able to speak your mind with love and experience instead of wondering what "they" will think of you. To know that you won't please everyone, and be ok with that. {Yes, I was a very insecure teen}.

Getting older is like wearing pajamas all the time. Comfortable with your own skin, wrinkles, sags, and liver spots. Since menopause, the drama is gone - not the joys, not the sorrows, but the life-and-death drama. Remember your first break-up? Oh the agonies. Especially if it wasn't your idea.


I'm comfortable here at 50. I like it. I think I'll stay here....for about a year.


11 comments:

Shari said...

Happy Birthday Allie!! I think you can officially say you are a grown-up now. So now you can do what you want, when you want. You get to have your radio station on and you get to choose the channel on the tv!

Hope you have a really great birthday!

Shelly said...

Happy Birthday, Allie! What great words of wisdom you have!

mamaspark said...

Happy Birthday!! I have the same one to look forward to in July!! I'm glad you like the houses, send me a pic of yours, I would love to see them.

Allie said...

I hope you had an awesome day!
I love the "I think I'll stay here....for about a year." You crack me up!

Happy birthday form the other Allie. ;)

Lauranie said...

Happy belated Birthday!! Today is my husband's birthday! We ordered take-out! :) Great minds are thinking alike, I just made a comment about being old, but feeling like a kid in my head! Like, I'm only "playing house" so I shouldn't have to CLEAN it!! HA! BTW, I tagged you! I hope you had a great day!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Happy Birthday! I agree with you on all those points. 50 just arrived for me last November and so far...so good! Glad I found your blog, too!
Regina

Pam in Colorado said...

Oh Allie, you give me such hope. I will be 45 this year and I'm almost there in every area except menopause. Will I really be through it and done with it by 50? I so hope so. I want that little extra freedom of being past menstration. Say it is so!!!

Happy, Happy Birthday - every day.

susan m hinckley said...

Happy Birthday, Allie! I won't be there for four (VERY S-L-O-W) years. But I already love hanging out in my pajamas.

Tanya said...

Happy Birthday! 50 is nothing! You are a young chick! Still lots to do with lots of days!

Victoria said...

Great post and Happy Belated Birthday!
I find that the older I become the more I grow into myself. And yes, that is a good feeling!

DebMc said...

Happy, happy birthday! I'm not really late, I'm just incredibly early for next year.

I'm with you...fifty is fun. A little daunting at first....but then you realize you've earned every year. I speak my mind a lot more now, too. And don't mind confronting folks who I think need a kick in the donkey. wink, wink

Celebrate this entire year, girl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...